Sunday, April 27, 2008

Great times in TEXAS!

Day 17, April 22: Lawrence Wood Picnic Area (between Kent and McDonald Observatory) to Alpine, TX; ~49 miles

This was really the last chilly morning we have had. We started climbing and passed the University of Texas McDonald Observatory. It is cool looking (a little difficult to see in the photo), but we learned that you don't get to look through the big telescopes unless you come in the evening for a "Star Party". We would have considered trying to get there, but these only happen on certain nights of the week, and our night near the area was not one of them...maybe at a later date.

We continued down the hills through Ft. Davis and into Alpine. We arrived in the early afternoon, and Stacy did our most recent blog update while I went to the bike shop (this happened after we first took care of the important business...DQ for Blizzards...biking across the country allows for tremendous ice cream intake without affecting my beautiful physique). In Alpine we were fortunate enough to get to stay with Liz Rogers (sister to Street Rogers whom Stacy mentioned in the past blog post). She took us out for fancy dinner and we got to sleep in a bed at her house...she is a warmshowers.org contact...and a great one at that...Thanks.

Day 18, April 23: Alpine, TX to Sanderson, TX; ~85 miles

We left Liz's house early in the morning, and it seems that we have now entered the humid country. Stacy felt "sticky" all day and did not enjoy it at all (she reminded me a number of times). We had thought that we might get rain overnight or in the morning, but it did not arrive. Instead, we got to ride into a stiff headwind all day...wahoo! We ate some "fried pies", very tasty, when we passed through Marathon at the bakery where Stacy is sitting in the photo. We got to Sanderson later than we had hoped (after getting to wait for about 20 minutes for the last cars of the day to do their practice time trial on the road...Sanderson is home to the Big Bend Open Road Race...fast cars on a closed road that usually has very little traffic).

Although we had left Liz's house in the AM, we arrived at her house in the PM. She has another house in Sanderson which she opens to touring cyclists...Thanks! There we met Oris, a 73 year old man who is very experienced cycle tourist. He had some great wisdom about touring to share and is very friendly (you can find his info at crazyguyonabike.com and search for Oris). We slept great yet again.


Day 19, April 24: Sanderson, TX to Amistad Reservoir (~10 miles west of Del Rio, TX); ~110 miles

Today was a push. We had a headwind most of the day, but it was not super strong, so we were able to make good time. It was hot, and it seemed there was not much to see (maybe I was just working too hard). We finally got into camp around 9 pm, and I was totally exhausted.

BONUS PICTURE:

here is some stylish road kill...and you may notice the oversized chip seal on the road...it has inspired a song with ever evolving verses:


I don't like rough pavement
I prefer it when it's smooth
I don't like this pavement
It shakes me through and through

I like it best without chip seal (long note)
Thats the way I like it to feel (long note)

The day is real nice
But I'm wearing a frown
This rough pavement
Is bringing me down

I don't like rough pavement
I prefer it when it's smooth
I don't like this pavement
I shakes me through and through

I have written more verses, but I can't seem to remember them unless I am on the bike and riding the rough stuff.